W.J. Hider collection. Originally appears (with a second bell, now numbered US 72) in the register as A55, re-registered as 3476 in 1898 (MB 2015-10-01). Horniman Museum Annual Report for 1897 p. 18: 'Purchased from W.J. Hider S.B.S Royal Navy who ... collected them during the occupation of the City of Benin by the British expeditionary force.' ibid p. 19 'used for summoning the populace to a human sacrifice' .... It is 6 1/4ins in height by 4ins at the bottom'. Illustrated ibid Plate IV.